To improve the quality of life for all of Chautauqua County through the promotion of sound physical and economic growth; the support of intelligent and responsible allocation of our County’s limited resources; and the protection and enhancement of the environment.
As planning and community development professionals, we value:
- The development of viable communities through the wise use of natural, economic, social, and human resources.
- Civic involvement to improve the quality of community life.
- The uniqueness of communities and individuals.
- Internal and external collaborations.
- Education as a means to grow and help people identify assets, needs and solutions.
- Creativity required to find unique answers to difficult issues.
The Chautauqua County Division of Planning & Community Development is engaged in a broad range of local and regional issues in an effort to fulfill the Division’s mission. The Division provides staff support to the Chautauqua County Planning Board, Farmland Protection Board, Environmental Management Council and the Lake Erie Management Council.
The Division has a broad range of responsibilities. These include the following:
- Conducting GMP 239 reviews of local zoning actions.
- Providing technical assistance to municipalities.
- Grant administration and oversight.
- New York State Agricultural District Reviews.
- Coordination and assisting with planning projects.
- Trail development.
- Oversight and development of Chautauqua County’s Comprehensive Plan.