- This event has passed.
Building a Trail Foundation from the Ground Up
October 27, 2022 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
This webinar will discuss details on what is needed in order to create a trail foundation from the ground up and how to keep it successful.
- Cat Anthony, Executive Director, Virginia Capital Trail Foundation
- Carolyn Poissant, MLA, MPA, AICP, Senior Planner, City of Newport News
This webinar will discuss details on what is needed in order to create a trail foundation from the ground up and how to keep it successful. Presenters will look at organizational governance (bylaws, articles of incorporation, etc.), board member retention, fundraising, marketing and outreach, as well as partnerships. They will also discuss the groundwork when it comes to a foundation’s particular focus—the trail—and will include details on general advocacy, land acquisition, fundraising and grant writing, as well as planning, design, construction, and maintenance of a trail. Lastly they will also discuss how to effectively recruit and keep volunteers, the education and stewardship needed for the trail, and will include successful trail organization examples (from inception to today) in various parts of the country: Sand Creek Regional Greenway – Denver, CO; Tahoe-Pyramid Trail – Tahoe City, CA to Nixon, NV; Border to Border Trail – Washtenaw County, MI; and Virginia Capital Trail (Richmond, VA to Williamsburg, VA). Presenter examples run the gamut from urban (Denver) to small city/semi-rural (Washtenaw County) to backcountry/rural/urban (Reno-Tahoe).
Presenter examples pertain to more urban trails.
- Learn about nonprofit governance when it comes to bylaws, articles of incorporation, etc.
- How to successfully retain board members
- How to successfully gain and retain partnerships
- Ideas for successful fundraising efforts, including grant writing