- This event has passed.
National Water Trails
July 7 @ 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
The Why and How of Designating Your Water Trail
This webinar will dive in deeper on the process for trails to become designated National Water Trails, which are a subset of the National Recreation Trails.
- Peter Bonsall, National Trails Program Specialist, National Park Service
- Alison Bullock, Community Planner, Rivers, Trails & Conservation Assistance Program, National Park Service
- Rachelle Wright, Project Director, Cave County Trails, Inc.
- Vanessa Ulm, Executive Director, Edmonson County
This webinar is a follow up to our webinar Fundamentals of the National Recreation Trails Program as it will dive in deeper on the process for trails to become National Water Trails (NWT), which are a subset of the National Recreation Trails (trails that are a part of the National Trails System*). You will hear from a manager of a newly designated NWT who will share their experience with the NWT application process, their responsibilities as water trail managers, and how NWT designation has impacted their community (locally, tourism, etc.). You will also hear from National Park Service staff and learn about 7 Best Management Practices for NWTs that include details on the NWT application process, what to expect, and more.
The deadline for applications each year is November 1.
*The National Trails System Act of 1968 authorized creation of a national system of trails comprised of National Recreation Trails, National Scenic Trails, and National Historic Trails.
- Learn how to navigate the NWT application process
- Understand the benefits to being a designated NWT
- Understand the roles of the partners involved